Register to Vote

Qualifications to Register to Vote:

Be a United States citizen;
Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
Resident of this state and the county for at least 30 days before the election;
Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship);
Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.


How and Where to Register to Vote (Deadlines):

You can register in person at your county board of elections or at any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center.

You may also submit your voter application form at the Department of Motor Vehicles, either in person or on their web site if you already have DMV-issued identification.

You can request a New York State Voter Registration form by mail by entering your name directly into our mailing list database.

You can call 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application.


New York State Voter Registration Form

You may register to vote using the New York State Voter Registration Form accessible at the links below. You can complete a PDF version of the New York State Voter Registration Form by clicking on the link below, typing the necessary information and selecting the appropriate boxes and putting it in the mail. Alternatively, you can print the form to complete by hand.

New York State Voter Registration Form

Formulario de Registro de Rotantes del Estado de Nueva York

The voter registration form should be used as a change of address form. Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election.

In Suffolk, printed and signed forms must be mailed to Suffolk County Board of Elections, Yaphank Ave., P. O. Box 700Yaphank, NY 11980

Change of Party Enrollment:

The voter registration form should be used to change your party enrollment from one party to another or to enroll for the first time in a party. A change of enrollment received no later than 25 days before the general election shall be deposited in a sealed enrollment box and opened the first Tuesday following that general election and entered in the voter's registration record. Please see Deadlines referenced above.

Victims of Domestic Violence

N.Y. Election Law (5-508) allows victims of domestic violence who obtain a court order from NY Supreme Court, Family Court or County Court in the county where they are registered to have their voter registration record kept separate and apart from other registration records and not be made available for inspection or copying by the public or any other person, except election officials acting within the course and scope of their official duties. Under a separate section of the law (11-306), you can also be excused from going to your polling place to vote and get a special ballot. For further information, you should contact your local board of elections for their confidential registration and special ballot procedures.