Also on the Logs: 07.12.18

Local Police Records


Jennifer Gould of Seabreeze Lane told police she was having trouble with an Amazon order and Googled what was supposedly the “best number to call Amazon for help” on Friday. A website supplied a phone number, which she called, and a man named Alec told her Amazon had locked her account. To unlock it, he said, she would have to spend $1,000 on gift cards at CVS and give him the serial numbers. She bought a Google Play card worth $500 and five Apple iTunes cards, each worth $100, and gave him the serial numbers by phone. She went to police several hours later to report the fraud. 

East Hampton Village

A man was operating a drone over the historic Charles H. Adams estate on Lee Avenue for several minutes on July 2 at around 12:15 p.m. A person at the house, who was not identified, confronted him and called police, but the man had left the area in a Chevrolet Impala before an officer arrived. 

Two juveniles were operating motorized bicycles on Main Street sidewalks on July 2. Police couldn’t locate them after receiving a complaint at about 9:10 p.m.

An anonymous caller reported a dog locked inside a silver Mercedes-Benz in front of the East Hampton train station on Railroad Avenue on July 3 at about 6:10 p.m.  Police found the driver at the station and advised him not to leave his dog unattended. The dog appeared unharmed.

Police also were asked to check on another dog. It was reported to be inside a Jeep Wrangler that was parked in a North Main Street lot for at least 30 minutes, with all the windows closed, on July 4 at about 5:45 p.m. Police searched for the Jeep, but did not find it.

An officer also searched Dayton Lane for a pickup truck that had been parked there after a caller reported a dog inside it last Thursday at about 1:30 p.m. Nothing was found.

A dog inside a pickup truck in the Reutershan parking lot on Friday at about 9:40 a.m. was not in distress following a call to police. Both the driver’s side and passenger windows were open about 10 inches, police said. 

A traffic control officer found a Lululemon Athletica bag full of merchandise on Newtown Lane on July 4 at about 3:25 p.m. Police took the bag to the Main Street store, where an employee was able to trace the owner, based on the receipt inside the bag.  

A taxi driver asked for the Police Department’s help when a passenger refused to pay a $100 fare Saturday at about 2:30 a.m. The taxi driver said he picked up a 26-year-old man in Amagansett and was supposed to take him to Water Mill. The passenger asked to stop at the Chase A.T.M. on Main Street, so he could pay the fare, but then refused to pay it and tried to walk away. The officer had the man give the driver $20 for the fare from Amagansett to East Hampton Village and then flagged down another taxi to take him the rest of the way. 

A highly intoxicated man refused to leave the AT&T store on Park Place on Saturday close to 5 p.m. He told police he wanted his account information and shouldn’t have to show his identification. Police advised him that the store had the right to ask for it and suggested he leave and could go back at another time. He agreed and left.


An argument over a parking space on South Emerson Avenue on the Fourth of July at around the time of the fireworks escalated. Joshua P. Levy of Studio City, Calif., said the driver of another vehicle punched him in the face and shoved him, then left the area at 9:10 p.m. Police found and spoke to the driver, but Mr. Levy declined to press charges. 

Pizza was the cause of an altercation on Montauk Highway on June 30 at around 3:20 a.m. A 26-year-old who gave his name as Alexander Merutka von Amelunxen of El Cajon, Calif., said he was at Pizza Village when an unknown man hit him in the face over an argument. Police said the Californian’s lip was bloodied, but he refused medical attention. He told police he didn’t want to press charges even if the suspect was located.

An incident near the bathrooms at Ruschmeyer’s on Second House Road just after midnight on June 30 led to a harassment report being filed the next day. Earl Pinkett of Manhattan, who had been enjoying a night of dancing earlier, told police he was grabbed from behind and thrown to the ground on the outside deck. He had motioned for bouncers when two girls pushed past his girlfriend to use the bathroom, he said, but he wound up with pain in his shoulder, neck, and head, and left the scene to go to the hospital’s emergency room. 

Someone is hanging out at a North Farragut Road construction site. David Hemmingses called police when he found several beer cans there on July 2. He also said the controls of two tractors parked at the property may have been tampered with. 

Sag Harbor

John Schroeder found a drone in his yard on Division Street on July 3 at 1 p.m. Police contacted the East Hampton Airport, but the drone had no serial number or registration on file. 

Cormaria Retreat House’s website was hacked last week for the second time in as many months. Sister Ann told police July 3 that someone with the alias “Kaizen” had hacked into the site. 

On July 3 at 5:45 p.m., police were alerted to teenagers jumping into the water from the bridge to North Haven. Upon arrival, they said they did not know they could not do so.

Teenagers approached Sunny Hostin’s rented house on Ninevah Place from the beach on July 4 at 10:22 p.m. Ms. Hostin was entertaining guests in the yard, and she said the kids proceeded to yell “racially charged foul language” and to light fireworks. By the time police arrived, the teens were gone and searches of the nearby beach yielded no one. 

On Sunday just after noon, someone called police regarding an injured crow in the road on Jermain Avenue. The caller was going to take the injured bird to a wildlife rescue center.

Audrey Gaul called the police on Monday at about 6:20 p.m. to report that her dachshund was being attacked by a deer in the driveway of her Walker Avenue house. The deer had run away when police arrived, but Ms. Gaul’s son said that the dog had been attacked by another deer, this one rabid, only a couple of weeks ago. They were directed to animal control.

Penni Ludwig of Main Street called to report her cat was stuck in a tree on Monday at 9:22 p.m. Police arrived and rescued it in no time.


Police received word of an attempted burglary on Briarcroft Drive on Saturday morning. Katherine Bergmann said she arrived at the house last Thursday to find damage to the door of a mudroom and its lock. Screws were also missing from the locking mechanism. She did not believe anyone had gotten into the house, however; nothing was taken or out of place. 

Thomas House, who lives on Hawthorne Street, reported on Saturday that he discovered $460.44 in Uber charges on his Discover card. The charges stemmed from services provided in the Morro Bay, Calif., area, though he hadn’t been to California recently. He has since closed his Discover account and notified Uber of the fraudulent charges. He said Uber is in the process of giving him a full refund.