Police Say His Fork Became a Weapon

A man who had been living in a group home remained in county jail yesterday morning, after being charged by East Hampton Town police with misdemeanor menacing with a weapon, which was a fork, on the evening of Jan. 2. 

According to police, Kary Felton, 57, had become enraged when a fellow resident at the home, on Wainscott Northwest Road, changed the television channel they had been watching. Police said Mr. Felton turned his anger toward a professional who works at the home, picking up a fork and pointing and threatening her with it.

Arraigned on Jan. 3 in East Hampton Town Justice Court, bail was set at $350, which had not been posted as of yesterday morning. He is due back in Justice Court on Jan. 25.

In 1987, Mr. Felton had been sentenced to 6 to 12 years in New York State prison after being convicted of three felonies, including attempted robbery and assault. After serving that term, he was returned to prison for violating parole. At the time, he spelled his first name with two “r”s. 

As Kary Felton, he also had been convicted in 2012 of criminal contempt as a felony, and was sentenced to 18 to 36 months. He served the maximum. His most recent jail term followed an arrest in 2017 on a charge of obstruction of breathing.

  A 4 a.m. report in Sag Harbor of a car stopped in front of a Suffolk Street residence for a prolonged period led to the arrest of James M. Bayrami, 28, of Sag Harbor. The arresting officer said Mr. Bayrami was passed out in the front seat, with a strong smell of marijuana in the car.

 The officer searched the car, reportedly finding a glass jar containing marijuana, five $20 bills, a scale, and rolling papers. In addition, a shopping bag containing fireworks was in the back seat. After being arrested on two violation charges, he was taken to headquarters and released with an arraignment set for Feb. 9.

Mr. Bayrami previously had been arrested by East Hampton Town police in July 2014 after the vehicle he was driving struck and injured a bicyclist on Route 114. He was charged at that time with driving under the influence of drugs, to which he pleaded guilty in April of the following year, according to East Hampton Justice Court records.