On The Police Logs 04.26.12

Police News

After Mathew Foulds of Hedges Lane called police Saturday to report his 1997 Jeep gone from his driveway, he got a call from the Suffolk County Police Department, which had impounded it as an abandoned vehicle. It had been found on a commercial lot in Manorville. Strangely, Mr. Foulds later told town police, the thieves had invested some money in the car, purchasing a cut-down canvas top and a full Jeep cover. The items were inside the car when Mr. Foulds went to pick it up.

East Hampton
Bridget Hall, a model, told police last Thursday that she has been receiving letters, cards, and a book from a man she does not know. In one letter the man said he was coming to East Hampton this summer by Jitney. Ms. Hall said she felt threatened by the situation. Police are investigating.

Karol Delaisne of South Breeze Drive reported that her black Ellen Tracy handbag containing $200 in cash, a turquoise leather wallet, several credit cards, and all her identification had vanished from her car, which was parked in her driveway on the night of April 3.

William Matthews of Atlantic Street told police his mailbox was smashed on the night of April 15. He reported hearing a loud bang at about 11:15 p.m. and looked out the window, but saw nothing. Police checked the neighboring boxes and found no others vandalized.
A child’s Huffy bicycle and a pink Barbie bike helmet were stolen from her front yard on April 14, Shelia Krasniqi of Cedar Ridge Drive reported.

East Hampton Village
A Long Island Railroad bus headed for Montauk became a center of conflict at the train station last Thursday afternoon after police were notified that several men on the bus had guns. The man who called police told officers he had argued with a group of six men seated behind him after asking them to turn down their music, and that he thought he heard one of them say something in Spanish about a knife. No weapons were found on the bus.
An 84-year-old Amy’s Lane resident received a phone call on April 16 from a man claiming to be his grandson, asking him to wire $2,500 to Mexico. The man instead called police, who arrived and assured the caller that no money would be sent. The officer then called the actual grandson, who said he was at work, not in Mexico.

At 6 p.m. on April 16, the caretaker of an Egypt Lane house reported a break-in at about 2:30 that day, tripping the alarm. He told the alarm company he would check the house himself, and found that a screen had been removed and a window opened in the downstairs laundry. There was no sign of the intruder, and nothing was missing.
Police responded to a call a little after 1 a.m. on April 18 reporting a vehicle stranded on Wiborg’s Beach. After calling a towing company, an officer cited the driver, Richard Smith of Borden Lane, for driving on the beach without a permit.

Mary Kay Jaroff of Further Lane told police last week that two pineapple stone lawn ornaments had been removed from the property.

On Friday morning, police took a call about a man “with a shaved head, talking to himself” on Newtown Lane. The man told an officer he was homeless and wanted to stay where he was, and he was allowed to, as he was not causing a disturbance, according to the report. A second call came in, however, at about 1:30 p.m., reporting a man lying on the sidewalk on North Main Street. It was the same man, who now said he was waiting for the afternoon train to go back to Riverhead. The officer took the man to the train station.

On Saturday at 3 p.m., police received a report about youths drinking alcohol on Gingerbread Lane. Officers investigating found many youths but no alcohol.
The manager of Obligato on Main Street reported a suspicious person in the store on Sunday morning, who was possibly drunk or drugged. An officer found the man walking nearby and reported him sober and sane.

On the afternoon of April 18, John Hauer of Wainscott Hollow Road reported that at some point between March 7 and that date, someone had smashed in a basement window of his house, slept in an upstairs bedroom, used two of the bathrooms, consumed liquor, damaged two rear garage doors, flattened an outdoor gutter, and gouged tire marks into the front lawn. A landscaper reported seeing a family of five — a mother, father, and three children — on the premises on April 12.