A Repeat D.W.I. Offender Is Jailed for Drinking Again
Charlotte DePersia, an East Hampton resident who was convicted of drunken driving after a head-on crash in Bridgehampton in November 2010, was jailed on Tuesday after she violated the terms of her probation by allegedly drinking alcohol after being ordered not to.
Judge William Condon of the State Supreme Court in Riverside set bail at $500,000 after Ms. DePersia, 59, told prosecutors she had had two drinks at Gurney’s Inn in Montauk on March 10. Ms. DePersia has a house on Oyster Shores Road.
In the 2010 incident, Southampton Town police arrested Ms. DePersia after the Land Rover she had been driving east on Montauk Highway swerved and struck a westbound BMW. Two of the BMW’s four occupants, including a pregnant woman, were treated for their injuries at Southampton Hospital.
Ms. DePersia, whose driver’s license had been suspended the year before following a drunken-driving conviction, was charged after her second arrest with felony driving while intoxicated, as well as unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
Judge Condon sentenced Ms. DePersia after a guilty plea in December to community service and five years’ probation. A condition of the probation was that she wear an ankle monitor that checks for alcohol use.
She is due in court on May 1 on the alleged probation violation.
Mark E. Dombrowski of North Fleming Court in Montauk agreed to a plea deal on a reduced charge Monday in East Hampton Town Justice Court after a May marijuana-growing arrest.
Mr. Dombrowski, 56, and an unidentified youth, apparently his son, were arrested in July after police executed a search warrant at the North Fleming Court house, finding what they said were numerous pot plants, about two ounces of dried marijuana, and an unlicensed handgun.
Mr. Dombrowski was charged with unlawful growing, criminal marijuana possession, and child endangerment, all felonies.
The youth was charged with criminal possession of a weapon after police found an apparently stolen .40-caliber Glock pistol. Police did not say who the gun belonged to at the time, only that they suspected it had been taken from an East Hampton residence.
Mr. Dombrowski pleaded guilty to marijuana possession Monday, and East Hampton Town Justice Lisa Rana suspended his sentence, provided he stay out of trouble for a year. The youth’s records were sealed, and the disposition of his case was not announced.
This was not Mr. Dombrowski’s first encounter with law enforcement. In 2005 he was exonerated of hate-crime assault after a highly publicized arrest in which he was alleged to have beaten up a Latino driver in Montauk in a roadside confrontation.
In similar circumstances in May, he was ticketed after allegedly forcing a different Latino driver off the road on Montauk Highway, then fleeing.
That driver, Gustavo Torres, the superintendent of the Windward Shores Condominium on Napeague, said Mr. Dombrowski had gone around his vehicle in a no-passing zone, then slammed on the brakes. Mr. Torres said he swerved to avoid a collision, but the maneuver forced him into the roadside bushes and his Mitsubishi sport-utility vehicle came to rest on its side. Mr. Torres sustained only minor injuries.
Police were able to link Mr. Torres’s description of the tan Toyota Tundra that had caused the accident to Mr. Dombrowksi, who was ticketed for improper passing, for which Justice Rana fined him $100, leaving the scene of accident, and reckless driving. The other tickets were dropped Monday as part of Mr. Dombrowski’s plea deal.